Sunday 17 July 2016

Paddy Buckley Round - A shot in the dark!


After the Ramsay Round on last weekend of may, I thought about doing the Paddy Buckley round too to complete the Big 3 UK Rounds before I leave for Pakistan. But because of Ramadan starting when I hibernate and not enough time to recover and organise it properly I put that thought in the back burner. But after weeks of contemplation I decided to delay my travels by one week to give me a one last chance to give it a go before I go go.

I had already committed weekend after Ramadan to help a friend with her Bob Graham round and then try to do my Welsh round weekend after. This was a big shot for me because I haven’t reccied the round at all and it was all new ground for me plus I was very low on support. Also, It wasn’t a good idea to do a very long day run a weekend before (did 3 legs with friend on her English round) and not rested enough. I asked Ben too to do it with me but he was sensible and told me he hasn’t recovered from our Ramsay Round.


Anyway because of lastminute call, we didn’t get anything booked to stay overnight but just managed to get good friends coming over to help me with the round. I stayed overnight at Bens to leave early with Ben and Ben’s parents. Jill was coming over to help with road support too. We left around 6 am on Saturday morning and my starting time of 10am was delayed by 45 minutes. I was meeting Beth and Matt who were joining me on first leg and may continue on second leg along with Mark, who I was meeting with the first time and it was very nice of him to just turn up to support me. Ian was at the Pinnacle Café in Capel Curig too who was joining me later on second leg. It was our first meeting too. The weather wasn’t looking promising but I didn’t have any other option but just to give it a good shot.

I set off with Beth, Matt and Mark at 10:45am. Mark was in charge of navigation and Beth and Matt has taken feeding duties. It didn’t take long for the rain to start and the ground was very saturated with continuous rain through out the week. I didn’t put my waterproofs on because I had only one jacket with me and rain was forecasted for all weekend and I kept it for overnight section. We were moving well without pushing it too hard and I was also eating more than I usually do. Mark was great with navigation and I have just been bog-stuck to my chest. Matt was quick to pull me out and we didn’t lose much time. Ian was meeting us at the Quarries with Ben and his parents but we got there earlier than expected and missed them by only few minutes.

Anyway we carried on and Mark had enough of it before Cnicht and let us carried on. I just twisted my ankle coming off Cnicht and had to take few seconds to shake the pain off. Ben just rang me to ask where I am. I said we are just getting down to car park at Aberglaslyn. Ben said he will rush down with Ian to try to catch us. Ian was suppose to run with me on Leg 2. We made over thirty minutes on first leg. I was following 23 hours and 30 minutes schedule. Beth mentioned that my schedule for Glyders leg was very tight and I had no idea, I just hoped that it was not.

We got to car park at 5:06pm and Jill was there with food supplies. Forest, Tracey and George have arrived there as well. Beth and Matt called it a day there and after a quick stop I set off with Forest and George on second leg. Ben just drove Ian at the car park to join us for this leg. Forest was taking some interesting lines up Bryn Banog and George was feeding me with oranges. We were taking it steady and making minutes here and there. The boulders were quite slippery and was reminded that if the weather stays wet the Glyders will be really hard work. Anyway didn’t think about it much and just stuck with it.

We made another two minutes on this leg and had quite a pleasant reception at the road crossing with John and Dave families shouting for us. Ben’s parents quickly fed me with some pasta and I set off on third leg with John and Dave. It was starting to get dark now and John was in charge of finding the route and I was busy chatting with Dave. We were still moving well without losing any time. Dave was slightly struggling after the Snowdon. He hasn’t been running much and said has lost some fitness. Anyway Ben was meeting us at the top of Foel Gron along with Jill and I was still in good shape so once we met up with Ben and Jill, Dave decided to get down with Jill while I carried on with John and Ben. Again, this leg went well and we made another 20 minutes on this leg so now I was over 50 minutes up on my 23:30 schedule and have only 2 legs left.

We arrived at Llanberis at 1:30am. Jill was waiting there along with Ben’s parents. I was feeling slightly cold so changed my top and tried to push some food down. I have now started to struggle with food. John was continuing on next leg with Ben. The first climb was never ending and I am feeling tired and weak now. I was getting slower and slower and was losing time. My watch battery has just died too and I can’t keep an eye on the times but I knew I am lacking behind and had no strength to fight back. All I can do is crawl forward slowly but surely. The Glyders and Tryfan were nightmares. It was a struggle to stand straight and we were on our all fours. I kept dragging myself forward and the last descent from Tryfan to Glandana was very painful.

As soon as I got to the road crossing I got my phone out to see how I was doing against the clock. It was 7am and I have only 3 hours and 45 minutes to do the last leg to be able to do it in under 24 hours. I had lost over 80 minutes on this very last leg. I was in pain and even running on road was painful. I talked to myself that I don’t have enough time left so my mind has decided to gave in and my body has already given up a while ago. Ben and I run together so we both know each other when we struggle. I looked at Ben and we both knew that we are not looking forward to continue it anymore.

We were cheerfully greeted by Jill and Ben’s parents. Forest earlier mentioned that he may do another leg and it was so refreshing to see him there along with Tracey. With their motivation and encouragement, we had a change of heart and forced some tea, banana and cake down to give it a last big push. On the first climb to Pen Yr Ole Wen I was pushing beyond my strength and energy. The tears were falling inside me because I wanted it so bad now and knew how tight it is but had no energy to fight back and it was very painful to say the least.

Forest has taken charge of navigation again and all I am trying to do is only think about one step at a time. After battling for another 50 minutes we just got to the top and made up some 6 crucial minutes. This was the first time I told myself I can do this and raced downhill with Ben. I am also forcing some food down to have enough energy to keep going. I have now rolled back in over twenty minutes along the next two climbs. I am still trying to force food down and have just vomited not only through mouth but nose as well, and this was the first for me. This didn’t stop me and we just kept moving forward, however running downhill has just become too painful and this was also the first time where I was moving well up hill and limping downhill.

I just bumped in to Paul who has walked up with his dogs to see me. We had a brief chat and went our way to climb the last top before dropping back down to Capel Curig. I limped all the way down to the road and raced the last half mile back to the start where it all began about 24 hours ago.



Ben stopped his watch and shouted its 10:20am so I have done it in 23 hours and 35 minutes. This wasn’t as hard as Ramsay Round but definitely more emotional for me because this was all new territory for me and it wasn’t easy to fight back when you are at your lowest and have no strength to dig yourself out once you have given in. I don’t think it was possible without the support of my friends who believed in me and spurred me on. This reinforces the fact that having positive people around yourself lift you higher and higher.

2 comments:

  1. Best proof that if you really want something impossible means nothing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete